Bike To Work On Friday, May 18th | Community Spirit
National Bike to Work day is Friday, May 18th, and tens of thousands of Missourians will be riding again this year--the first year Bike to Work Day has been an official part of the Missouri State holidays calendar.
"Bicycling to work is on a huge upward swing in Missouri," said Brent Hugh, Executive Director of the Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation. "From 2000 to 2010, the amount of bicycling to work increased by 70%. In our large metro areas, the story is even more dramatic--biking to work almost tripled in both Kansas City and St. Louis over the past decade."
The increases in bicycling to work put Missouri well ahead of the national trends. Overall in the U.S., bicycling to work increased by 40% from 2000 to 2010.
In 2010, Senator Will Kraus sponsored a bill adding Missouri Bike Month (May), Bike to Work Week, and Bike to Work Day to the Missouri State Holidays Calendar. The bill was signed by Governor Nixon and went into effect in August 2011, making this the first year the event is officially recognized in Missouri's holiday calendar.
Information about some of the Bike to Work Day events happening around Missouri is on the MoBikeFed web site:
Bike commuters are invited to stop by one or more refueling stations for breakfast and coffee on their way to work to celebrate National Bike to Work Day with Trailnet and other hosts.
Last year Trailnet saw more than 330 cyclists at refueling stations on Bike to Work Day and are looking to exceed that number this year.
Breakfast will be served on Friday from 6:30 to 9:00 a.m. at the following locations:
- Big Shark, 6133 Delmar Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63112
- Downtown Bicycle Station, 1011 Locust St., St. Louis, MO 63101
- Ferguson Bicycle Shop, 429 S. Florissant Rd., Ferguson, MO 63135, hosted by Live Well! Ferguson
- Kaldi's on DeMun, 700 DeMun Ave., Clayton, MO 63105, hosted by Pedal the Cause
- Missouri History Museum, 5700 Lindell Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63112
- Missouri Botanical Garden, corner of Tower Grove and Shaw, St. Louis, MO 63110
- The Patio Cafe, 7711 Bonhomme Ave., Clayton, MO 63105, hosted by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Straub's Webster Groves, 211 W. Lockwood Ave., Webster Groves, MO 63119, hosted by Team Revolution
- Temple Emanuel, 12166 Conway Rd., St. Louis, MO 63141
- Mungenast St. Louis Honda, 5939 S. Lindbergh Blvd., St Louis 63123, hosted by Dave Mungenast
- St. Louis Children's Hospital, 1 Children's Place, St. Louis, MO 63110, hosted by St. Louis Children's Hospital
Companion is providing the fuel (aka bagels!) to our riders.
The Mayor's Proclamation of National Bike to Work Day will be at the Downtown Bicycle Station at 8:30 am.